Are you looking for a painless treatment to help stop premature aging or get rid of those blemishes? Microdermabrasion might be the best therapy suited for you.
This procedure buffs away the outer layer making your skin give a younger, brighter and smoother appearance. Here we’ll go through what microdermabrasion is, the process and its benefits.
What is Microdermabrasion?
This procedure is used to revive skin tone and texture to improve your image. It uses gentle exfoliation to remove any dead skin cells using a special applicator to sand away the exterior layer of the skin. The goal of this treatment is to promote cell turnover and make the skin glow and rejuvenated.
This skincare procedure helps fight skin-related conditions like:
- Sun damage
- Fine lines, wrinkles and premature aging
- Acne scarring
- Age spots
- Blackheads and enlarged pores
- Stretch marks
- Hyperpigmentation (uneven skin tone and texture)
The treatment works like this. It targets the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin which is made up of dead skin cells and is the layer closest to the skin’s surface). A professional skin technician or specialist will sand away the thick top layer of the skin using a small hand-held device. Read more below on how the microdermabrasion procedure works.
The Procedures of Microdermabrasion (and How It Works)
It is safe for most skin types depending on what microdermabrasion procedure you want to get done.
There are two main types. You can ask your professional what they recommend for your skin type and goals:
- Crystal microdermabrasion: this device uses microfine crystals that are shot from a small tube and onto your skin.
- Diamond microdermabrasion: on the other hand, this treatment uses a diamond-tipped wand to exfoliate rather than using crystals (technically crystal-free).
Although both do the exact same thing by exfoliating your skin and combing the vacuum suction to remove dead skin and debris.
During your consultation with a skincare specialist, it is best to discuss your skin concerns, and history preferably past cosmetic procedures, surgeries, allergies and other medical conditions. Your specialist will also give you instructions on what to do before the treatment such as:
- Avoid tanning creams, waxing and sun exposure a week before the procedure.
- Stay away from using exfoliating creams and mask approximately 3 days in advance before the treatment.
- Remove any makeup and cleanse your face right before the procedure begins.
Once the day comes, your microdermabrasion treatment will be performed in an office. You will be seated in a reclining chair. The licenced professional will use a handheld device to gently spray on the particles or sand away the outer layer. This procedure should take at least an hour and is nonsurgical so local anaesthesia is not required during the skin treatment.
After that, the professional will apply a moisturiser together with sunscreen to your skin. You may also be asked to avoid sun exposure for a few days and may experience some temporary red/pinkness and mild discomfort to your skin.
Some people may require multiple treatments that range from 5 to 16. These can be done weekly, fortnightly or even monthly depending on your skin type and the reasoning for the treatment.
Benefits of Microdermabrasion
So what are some of the benefits of doing the microdermabrasion treatment? Here are some things to consider:
- It stimulates collagen production making your skin restore its elasticity.
- Leaves the skin glowing, smoother, softer and younger.
- Allows new layers of skin to form.
- Reduces signs of aging (caused by sun exposure, acne, blemish scars, fine lines, and dry skin) and makes the skin more even.
- Reduces breakouts, acne and blackheads by unclogging pores and clearing congestion.
- The treatment is relatively painless and has the slightest risks (when performed properly by a professional).
- Most importantly, not needing that much time off to recover! (And if they do have side effects, they tend to disappear after a few days).
When it comes to having flawless, glowing skin, we provide the most extravagant experience and expertise. So make sure to book your appointment with us today.